Sunday, September 28, 2008

What to eat, do (and not do) to prevent cancer

Every other day, I will receive the news on whom and who get cancer. It’s really scary to see cancer become something so common nowadays. Sometime I am also having question within myself whether or not I’ll get cancer. Seems like fate is a mysterious combination of actors beyond our control.

I know friends and family who smoked, drank and ate bacon everyday yet escaped a diagnosis. And far more disheartening, I also know people who lived a virtuously healthy life only to develop the disease. This adds to my confusion over what actually is the right want to avoid Cancer. I think there are many other factors like lifestyle, stress, nutrition, genetic, radiation, etc that cause this disease.

But first, lets look at the list that tells us what to forgo and what to fill up on. Let’s eat!

Three foods to feast on frequently:
Cruciferous veggies like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and kale are all cancel fighting stars in the produce department, and several studies have linked them to a lower risk for collateral, lung and stomach cancers. Experts believe that vegetables like cabbage contain chemicals that turn on your body’s natural detoxifying enzymes.
How much to eat: You can’t have too much, but five weekly half cup servings is a reasonable goal.

Foods rich in vitamin D and calcium.
Your breast and colon may be protection from this vitamin/mineral combo. Scientist who reviewed 10 studies found that those who consume high amount of dairy products have a lower risk for colorectal cancer, likely because of calcium’s protective effect.

Tomatoes and Berries
Lycopene, which gives tomatoes and berries their red colour, may help to prevent cell damage. Evidence of their anticancer benefit still being gathered. But certainly, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are rich in antioxidants, which protect against cell damage.

Three foods to cut back on
Red and processed meat.
Studies have found a strong connection between colon cancer and processed meat. Carcinogens are created when meat is cooked at high temperatures as well as when it’s processed with substances such as nitrates.

Alcohol is one of the few dietary factors showing a clear and consistent relationship with breast cancer.

Fats.
Although experts agree that maintaining a diet low in saturated fat is smart all round, the research linking fat and cancer is still controversial. Try to get most of your fat from healthy sources such as avocados, fish, nuts and olive oils.

One Food to watch carefully.
SOY. Soy is generally good for us. But its exact relationship with breast cancer is still being sussed out. Studies in the lab show that breast cancer cells proliferate when exposed to isolated soy compounds, most likely because soy contains plant-based estrogens.
How much to eat. About 20 grams or less daily.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Hi,

Im writing you in regard to exchanging links with your site and hope you will consider my proposal. I happened to come across your site and I actually
have one that's related to yours and I thought it would be beneficial for us to do a blogroll link exchange. Please let me know if you're
interested and I'll put your link up right away.

All I would need to know if your desired link, and anchor text. I will return with my information.

As always, they would be follow links.

Additionally, I have sites in many categories that we could exchange on.

Thanks you for your time and I truly hope to hear back from you.

Regards,

Matt
rimfiregroup [at] gmail